Classical Style Contour Maps

Paul H Harder II
Light User

Classical Style Contour Maps

Post by Paul H Harder II » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm a newbie here, and I apologize if I'm suggesting something that's old news. I did search the forum and found nothing on it.

I would like to be able to produce weather maps that are similar to the classical ones that I had many years ago in the Air Force (back when the pilots flew pterodactyls and the charts came out on huge fax paper rolls from Air Force Global Weather Central). And I used to plot my own. There was a convention for surface charts: Use black lines for SLP contours, red lines for temperature contours, and green lines for dew point contours. But, in F5, the only contour maps I can draw use a wild set of colors for each variable. I have figured out how I can change that. No problem, though it is a lot of work to edit each of the shading elements. That way, if I ever decide to show a shaded map that I've converted this way, it will simply come out black or red or green all over the map -- no information content.

It appears that contour maps are now drawn using the colors at one end of each sub-gradient. What would be great would be a completely separate color setting for contour maps. The color setting for each variable value could default to whatever color is loaded into the corresponding sub-gradient for shaded maps. But you could let users change those colors for contour maps and even give a button to push, to set all of them to a specified value. One good use would be for temperature maps, assigning red to positive values and blue to zero C and below.

This is not a high priority, just a nice-to-have -- a very nice nice-to-have.

Thank you.
Paul H. Harder II, Ph.D.
Meteorologist and Software Engineer
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Re: Classical Style Contour Maps

Post by Andrew Revering » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

For the time being -- it's more work that what it might be worth -- but you can create the 'solid' color scales for contours, go into C:\F5\settings\map_options and save the .ini file of the map(s) you configured for contours, and save them to an alternative folder to preserve it. Do the same for the original .inis before you made changes, and prior to making your maps you just put the proper .ini files in the settings\map_options folder so it makes the maps the way you want them.

Obviously this is an extra step, but until we can add it as a feature, it might be worth it to you.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
http://www.f5wx.com/
Paul H Harder II
Light User

Re: Classical Style Contour Maps

Post by Paul H Harder II » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm

That will hold me for now. Thanks for the workaround.
Paul H. Harder II, Ph.D.
Meteorologist and Software Engineer