RAP not updating?

Randy Herrmann
Light User

RAP not updating?

Post by Randy Herrmann » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:42 pm

I can't seem to get the latest RAP data. I consistently get data that is over 24 hours old. Is this normal? Yesterday I had similar problems with current maps, particularly Nexrad. It seems the data was updating for every region except the far southeast US. It kept showing a heavy rain cluster all over southeast 1/4 of Georgia and it never moved all day. Sometimes on the next refresh, it would vanish, only to return again in the next refresh. Most of the rain ended there much earlier there yesterday. It's like it was stuck on an old image from earlier in the morning.
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Re: RAP not updating?

Post by Andrew Revering » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:43 pm

This isn't normal. There has been an issue with RAP data all day, although I think its been worked out. It looks like data is starting to flow again. It may not be updated in F5 just yet, it may take a while for it to get calculated and through the system into F5, but its starting to update again.

Not sure what the issue was with radar. Maybe it was ground clutter? We have a pretty good clutter filter in place, and also remove precipitation that we determine is not reaching the ground...however sometimes that doesn't work perfectly. My guess is that it was ground clutter -- but without seeing it I'm not sure.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
http://www.f5wx.com/
Randy Herrmann
Light User

Post by Randy Herrmann » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:13 am

Thanks for the reply. Looks like RAP is back to normal. As for the radar, this didn't look like ground returns. It looked like the same organized area of heavy rain that was there earlier in the morning that day, and the returns looked exactly alike in the same place all day. Actually, as of 3am tuesday morning, it is still there as I type this lol. I know there is currently no precipitation in that part of Georgia. I can't attach a picture to the forum, but if you happen to see this post soon, zoom in on Georgia. It looks like a well organized cluster of storms about 80 miles NW of Jacksonville FL. Sometimes after a refresh it disappears, but it always comes back later. The old data seems to be only confined to that part of the US.
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Post by Andrew Revering » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 pm

I think I got the problem resolved now.

On a side note, keep in mind our radar filters out light returns that we determine are not reaching the ground or are insignificant for clarity. I noticed when comparing to some other radar images that they have a ton more precip than we show simply because they show the lightest returns which in my opinion are somewhat pointless.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
http://www.f5wx.com/