Feature Priority Survey

Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Feature Priority Survey

Post by Andrew Revering » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:31 am

We have created a survey that will help us determine which features we should tackle first. Please take this 20 question survey to help us decide which features to work on next:

http://www.f5data.com/priority/public/s ... ority_List
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
http://www.f5wx.com/
Steve Miller
Moderate User

Post by Steve Miller » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Now that most surveys are completed, what is the determination? I'm curious what features users wanted most for their F5Data and which ones will be implemented first?
Steve Miller
Moore, OK
WX5RFD
www.HamWx.com
free4zach
Light User

Post by free4zach » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 pm

I would like to see maybe a bit faster model updates and drawing would be nice...logos are okay...they aren't big to me.

Zach
free4zach
Light User

Post by free4zach » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:13 am

And maybe the program running a bit quicker...it's slow to a point...but it has a lot of data....

Zach
Dave Rennie
Regular User

Model Cycling

Post by Dave Rennie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:25 pm

One feature that might be useful would be similar to the map animation.

In this instance, however, the user could select a point in time, ie. 36 hours out, and a particular map, ie. 500mb Wind Speed, and the program could cycle between RUC, NAM-WRF and GFS results.

Thus, you could easily compare the different models looking for agreement or differences in forecasts.

I don't know how easy this feature would be to implement, but it might be something to keep in the back of your mind. Thanks for your time.

Dave Rennie
Billings, Montana
jmagyar
Regular User

Post by jmagyar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Except different models update at different times. So 36 hours out might be a different time on each model. Now...if the program was smart enough to enter an actual time....maybe it would work.

Right now, I just Run one...save the image, then run the next model...matching up the times...and compare..

James
Dave Rennie
Regular User

Post by Dave Rennie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks, James. I wasn't aware that different models updated at different times. That would present a problem.

I'm still very new at this, but have noticed in forecaster discussions mentions of differences in models, of such and such a model being the outlier, and so forth, so I figured that some comparing between models would be the prudent way to approach a forecast.

This may be outside the purview of this forum, but are there advantages to using any given model over another, or do certain models excel at some kinds of forecasts but fall short in others? Just curious. Thanks again.

Dave Rennie
Billings, Montana
John Giampetro
Regular User

Re: Feature Priority Survey

Post by John Giampetro » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Here's my wish list

- Plotting NCEP graphics. The images would be so much cleaner and great for public presentations.

- Plotting the NWS National Digital Forecast Database.

- Expand the grid plotting of the global models (GFS, ECMWF, Canadian) which would mean showing North America View or even Global.

- Expand model suit to include ensembles (GEFS, ECMWF, Canadian). Also, would include plotting anomaly maps, say the 1-5 Day, 6-10 Day and 11-15 Day 500mb anomaly map, 850mb anomaly maps.