Drastic Software Changes!

Will you want F5 with the proposed mapping changes?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 12
Bob Hartig
Heavy User

Post by Bob Hartig » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:44 am

Different users are bound to have different wants. Nothing wrong with that, though unfortunately, some wants won't be reconcilable with others. On my part, having read through your last post, Andy, I'm now 100% excited about the direction you're heading in. And I like that you're aiming ultimately toward both web- and software-based versions of F5, each with different strengths. Maybe in the end we'll all get what we want. Meanwhile, I am really looking forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeve.

Re the Allisonhouse feeds, I figured that the display part of that would remain the same. Anything beyond simple isopleths would just detract from the radar images. It's the reformulations resulting in increased accuracy that count. I'll be like a kid at Christmas waiting to unwrap that package once it's ready. :)
jmagyar
Regular User

Post by jmagyar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:27 pm

I concur with Bob totally. I think its going to be awsome. Honestly...Andy, you use the program for the same reason most of us here do. You are alot more experieneced at chasing then I thats for sure. If its something you see as a big improvement...and its not so complicated that the less experience users can still gain from it...go for it!

But for darn sure, don't wait 4 years to do instruction videos this time!! :P

James
veverka
Light User

Post by veverka » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Sounds great Andy. I'm just concerned F5 will get to big for my Windows XP sometime soon.
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Post by Andrew Revering » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Haha... I don't think there will be an issue there. If this upgrade goes through, it will actually make F5 more lightweight. Smaller download, faster response, less overhead.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
http://www.f5wx.com/
Vortex2005
Moderate User

Re: Drastic Software Changes!

Post by Vortex2005 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:16 am

Hi Andy,

Keep it the same. The zooming in, and overlays are VERY important to me, and what brought me to F5. For radar I use GRlevel II, and III so there is no need for you to go that direction, but that's my just me. I'm getting a faster computer so that should make F5, as it is now, fly faster. So don't stray, but maybe make F5 have the ability to loop current surface parameters, better satellite images, add back current locations and fronts, trofs,etc. Yep, overlays ARE important! Thanks!

Wally
Bob Hartig
Heavy User

Post by Bob Hartig » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Hey, Andy, can you give us an update? I know we're talking a lengthy process here; I'm just curious!

Vortex, read through Andy's lengthy, next-to-his-last post, and you'll see that he's addressed your (and my) concern regarding zooming and overlays.
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Post by Andrew Revering » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:16 pm

No update. I've been concentrating on the new radar product and trying to finish that first.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
Fred Gossage
Moderate User

Post by Fred Gossage » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 pm

I thought the main reasoning for even making the application, to begin with, instead of what there already was... was to move away from the pre-made stuff and allow on-the-fly zooming and custom overlays. Aside from maybe the radar that was originally talked about, THIS was the reasoning for the existence of F5Data, formerly "FORT". Getting rid of this is going right back to where you started from, only having it in an application so that you can charge more than what you used to when it was pre-made web images. The ONLY benefit you're gonna have out there over other stuff is the winter radar, and honestly, that's not enough to make it fly. Metwise Net, will offer much more stuff with more customization and better zooming, for a much lower price overall, when figuring in all the customization and overlaying and such that can be done.... with the only thing they don't have being the winter radar. In my opinion, you're going to be going right back to where you started from BEFORE the application ever came along, and if that's what happens, I won't be signing back up for a subscription... as I had planned to do before reading this.

I wish you luck with this. Once folks realize how much freedom they're going to have taken away from them once these changes become implemented, and sites like twisterdata.com continue to pop up and also add more products, you're likely going to see this program lose a LOT of interest.....
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Post by Andrew Revering » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:13 pm

Well nothing is set in stone at this point, that's the purpose of this thread, to try to get your input.

I'm actually thinking lately with the great response I've had with some marketing, that F5 is a success and maybe I shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

I could just improve on the existing platform that F5 exists on, speed it up, add features, etc. and then use the other ideas for new products -- giving users the option to choose what works best for them.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather